New Catholic Homeschooler

OK, I'm starting my first year homeschooling! Can I do it? Will my kids learn? Will my hair turn gray(er)? Will my house ever be clean? Praying for God's grace and guidance while we embark on our new family journey.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

So far, so GOOD!

Wow, so much for blogging on a regular basis. :)

3 weeks into homeschooling my 2nd grader and it's going GREAT! I actually love it. I find myself always on the lookout for 'homeschool things' when I'm out shopping - at Target, the craft store, the dollar store.

The most difficult thing to deal with during our school hours is that little critter of mine - my 5 month old baby girl. She's chubby, she's sweet, she's my lovey - but it IS hard to tend to her nursings, and hold her while I'm teaching. And she is one of those babies that does NOT like to be on the floor, or in her playpen, or in the swing, or in the walker, or in the excersaucer..... you get the picture. So I tell myself, this too shall pass. (right?)

The biggest surprise so far is how cooperative my 3 year old daughter has been! She does NOT have a long attention span, so I really have to think of a lot of things to entertain her. But she merrily goes along with our schedule - hopping from activity to activity. And making lots of messes.

Which leads me to my biggest quandry - how DO I keep up with the housework? I mean really. How do you homeschool moms do it? I am NOT a neat person, and I feel like my house is clutter central. I am trying out that "fly lady" thing that I've heard is helpful for messy people like myself. But I just can't seem to keep up with it. Oh well. SIGH. Bigger things are taking place in my house now.

And the funniest homeschool moment so far.... while reviewing Latin vocabulary with my 7 year old, my 3 year old pipes in with the answers. Now that's awesome.

3 Comments:

  • At 12:33 AM, Blogger Leticia said…

    Most veteran homeschoolers tell you to de-clutter, that way there's less to pick up. Good advice, but homeschooling is a cluttered lifestyle, and books are only the beginning. We need art supplies, science projects, religious objects, etc. I constantly fight the creeping clutter in my home. I have been known to freak out when 6 catalogues arrive in the mail.Now I pass the outdoor trash on my way inside, and dump the unecessaries before they get in the house!

    Enlist the children, after all, look what you are doing for them. One of the major benefits of homeschooling is a sense of family unity.It's amazing how helpful three year olds can be. This may be the last year they think helping Mom is fun. Capitalize on it!

    When all else fails, and hubby can't spring for cleaning help, lower your standards. I guarantee your children don't worry about fingerprints and dust bunnies as much as you. They're too busy enjoying your undivided attention.

    And as far as visiting moms go, I love Dr. James Dobson for this comment he once made, "the cruelest thing women do to each other is clean up before someone comes over". Tell your friends that it's a sign of your trust in their friendship that you'd have them over with your house in that state!

     
  • At 12:34 AM, Blogger Leticia said…

    Comment -Show Original Post

    causa nostra laetitiae said...
    Most veteran homeschoolers tell you to de-clutter, that way there's less to pick up. Good advice, but homeschooling is a cluttered lifestyle, and books are only the beginning. We need art supplies, science projects, religious objects, etc. I constantly fight the creeping clutter in my home. I have been known to freak out when 6 catalogues arrive in the mail.Now I pass the outdoor trash on my way inside, and dump the unecessaries before they get in the house!

    Enlist the children, after all, look what you are doing for them. One of the major benefits of homeschooling is a sense of family unity.It's amazing how helpful three year olds can be. This may be the last year they think helping Mom is fun. Capitalize on it!

    When all else fails, and hubby can't spring for cleaning help, lower your standards. I guarantee your children don't worry about fingerprints and dust bunnies as much as you. They're too busy enjoying your undivided attention.

    And as far as visiting moms go, I love Dr. James Dobson for this comment he once made, "the cruelest thing women do to each other is clean up before someone comes over". Tell your friends that it's a sign of your trust in their friendship that you'd have them over with your house in that state!

     
  • At 4:58 PM, Blogger 2008-2009 said…

    My husband and I have created a new Catholic homeschool resource site we thought you may be interested in viewing.
    Our site can be found at:

    http://www.thatresourcesite.com

    Blessings

     

Post a Comment

<< Home